Our PTO is built and relies on the strength of volunteers from our community. With almost 800 students attending BES, there are many opportunities to play an important role in our vibrant community. We know volunteering can seem scary and the time commitment may worry you, but the broad range of roles provides an opportunity for everyone to help out no matter how much or little time you might have.
The link below to the Sign Up Genius profiles all of the volunteer positions, some of which are one time gigs while others will endure through the school year. Take a look at the list and you will surely find something that appeals to you and where you know you can make a difference. Come see what you’re missing!
NEW: You only need to complete a Volunteer Orientation ONCE during your time at BES.
Volunteer Orientation NOT needed for:
- wishing to assist at Classroom Parties
- have lunch with their child
- are invited in for a special event (Author’s Tea, student performance programs)
- Field Trips, but you will need to sign/return the Sexual Harassment/Child Abuse Neglect Summary paper and will need to complete a Background check form no less than 3 weeks prior to the event the form is requested for.
Volunteer Orientation needed for:
- clerical work
- working directly with students (one on one, small group, Computer Lab, etc.)
Volunteers and Use of Social Media
Social media can be a convenient, fun and rewarding way to share your life and opinions with family and friends. However, using social media involves certain risks and responsibilities. These guidelines apply to all forms of social media:
• Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), parents have the right to prevent photographs of their children from being taken in instructional settings. Given that volunteers have no knowledge of which parents have allowed their children to be photographed and which have not, volunteers should not take or post online any photographs or movies of students in any instructional setting during the instructional day. This includes recess, lunch, and events such as Halloween parades.
• Volunteers should not make or receive phone calls or text messages while they are volunteering.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
If you have any questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Susan Schofield, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Classroom specific needs will be offered by each teacher.